'failed setting up socket' error with BIND9 on Solaris 2.5

Udo Zumdick uz at nic.dtag.de
Fri Dec 2 13:35:55 UTC 2005

Dear List,

apart from the xfr problems I had with BIND under solaris 2.5, which are solved
with the help from Mark, the BIND 9 is still not working properly. This error
was related to some kernelbugs in solaris 2.5

Beside this: Are there any solaris patches to solve this without modifying
bind source ? I couldn' find a patch that helps.

After modifying the source as Mark suggested the xfr works good. But although
there are no recursion restrictions in the configuration the BIND does not
work as a resolver should do. Obviously there are some (more many) recursive
queries that will not be resolved by this bind installation. I could not
figure out which queries will be answered and which not and why.
It only works with an external forwarder.

There are no network issues or something like this. Also the root.cache is
up to date and works in other bind installations.

I tried out bind 9.2.5 and 9.3.1

I've never had such problems with any version of bind.  ?-)

Is it possible, that a BIND9 does not work with a Solaris 2.5 ? I can't
imagine this...

Thanks a lot for help !

-Udo

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:09:36 +1100