Multiple default records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 31 21:52:20 UTC 2005

MX records were designed with failover and load-balancing in mind, which
is why they have a "preference" field. But MX records are only for mail.
SRV records are a more generalized form of service-location record, with
not only a "preference" field, but also a "weight" field (in case you
want some hosts to get more connections than others), but unfortunately
the browser developers haven't picked up SRV-record support yet, despite
significant prodding to do so.

                                                               - Kevin