idea about forging dns data

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 14:09:10 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 2005-August-31 08:15, Sami Kerola wrote:
> I am hostmaster and while ago co-worker asked is it possible to
> lie 2000-3000 names in resolver. His noble cause was kiddie porn
> sites which should resolve as some other IP than the real site
> where immoral materal exists.
>
> First idea was to declare zone as a master on resolver and make it
> empty. Unfortunately all other hosts in same domain will stop

Correct.

> working. This "solution" is also quite hard to keep clear because
> of many many zone files.

Not correct. Use a single zone file for all such zones. Sample:

@       IN      SOA     ns.your.zone.   hostmaster.your.zone. (
			2004012000	; serial number YYMMDDNN
			28800		; refresh  8 hours
			7200		; retry    2 hours
			864000		; expire  10 days
			86400 )		; min ttl  1 day
			NS	ns.your.zone.
			A	10.10.10.1
*		IN	A	10.10.10.1

You could use whatever you want in place of the IP. You might want to
have a Web server there to catch HTTP attempts. Ours serves a default
404 page saying "this site is blocked by company policy, please see
administrator if you need access." Or you might want to use a null-
routed IP and log all attempts to route to it.

My null.zone file above is a very blunt instrument! It clobbers
everything under the hijacked domain with a wildcard. Precision in
censorship of this nature is not easy.

Here's a short excerpt of our named.conf (an included file actually):

zone "gator.com" { type master; notify no; file "null.zone"; };
zone "bonzibuddy.com" { type master; notify no; file "null.zone"; };
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header