low TTL on cache NS

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 30 03:34:53 UTC 2005

In article <devqqa$2rcs$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 dave stern <dave at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:

> I have several mailservers running cache-only nameservice to reduce
> their
> external queries. On occasion, we move hosts from one net to another but
> the
> Cache-only NS doesn't pick  up the IP change we make on the master NS
> despite the mailserver being listed in the named.conf on the master
> under
> also-notify.
>
> Is there a way to reduce the TTL on cache-only NS to something really
> small?

I think there's a max-ttl option that can be used in named.conf.

But realize that this only affects your nameservers and their clients.
All the other nameservers in the world will go by the TTLs on the
records in the authoritative server.  If you don't want changes to
propagate quickly to all nameservers, give them short TTLs to begin with.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA