Cannot get my named to resolve external addresses. Could NAT be the culprit?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 29 22:51:00 UTC 2005

If NAT, per se, were the problem, I'd expect forwarding to fail as well,
although I suppose theoretically a "smart" NAT might treat recursive and
non-recursive queries differently...

What's in your db.cache file? Are you sure it's reasonable?

If your db.cache is OK, try doing a dig of some common name with the
+trace option to see how far it gets. If it doesn't even get past the
root servers, then you apparently have some sort of NAT/firewall/routing
problem.

You could also try commenting that query-source line, since it should be
unnecessary. Freeing up the source port might possibly have a beneficial
effect with respect to a NAT or firewall.

                                                            - Kevin