IPv6 issues

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Aug 26 07:07:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 04:47:41PM -0400,
 Kvetch <kvetch at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> they are having a huge lag time connecting to our sites

But you completely forgot to tell us the addresses of these sites...

> Ubuntu boxes which I know has IPv6 enabled by default. I told them
> how to disable it

Bad idea. People should be encouraged to use IPv6, not discouraged.

> Should I turn on the listen on v6 even if I am not using IPv6?

If you do not have IPv6 connection, it would be useless.

BIND 9 is "IPv6 enabled" in two very different ways: it has IPv6
transport (which you stopped with listen-on-v6) and it can serve IPv6
data (AAAA records). I cannot check if you have IPv6 data (since you
completely forgot to tell us the addresses of these sites) but it may
be something to consider.