Listing all RRs from a named process..

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:35:33 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I would like to get list of resource records from named process.
I tried 3 approaches mentioned below and I am not sure what is the
correct approach to list resource records from a named process?

Approach#1: rndc dumpdb

rndc dumpdb command dumps the contents
of the cache. Is this not same as the contents of the
named process? I noticed that this command is *not* dumping
any new resource records I add using nsupdate. Is something
wrong with this command?

Approach#2: dig

I tried "dig @mynamesever myzone.xxx AXFR" command. From syslog
output, I noticed that this command initiates a ZONE TRANSFER.
Does it mean that this will cause some overhead on the master
and the slaves listening on that master?

Approach#3: nslookup

I also tried the following:
# nslookup
> server mynameserver
> set domain=myzone.xxx
> ls -t ANY myzone.xxx

I did notice that this lists all the resource records in
specified zone but it initiates a ZONE Transfer ( syslog output
says that ). Does the zone transfer cause any overhead on
the master and all listening slaves?

What is the correct approach to list RRs from a named
process for a given zone?

thanks
Blr