Filename wildcards in include configuration directive

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Aug 25 00:37:20 UTC 2005

In article <deh0tq$2dc6$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> > >	Because no one has written the code to do it.  Feel free to
> > >	write it if you want.  It shouldn't be too hard.
> > >
> > >	1. Document the desired behaviour.
> > >

> > Or, just refer to the existing documentation. POSIX 1003.2, 3.13.
> >

> >                   - Kevin
>
> 	I don't think posix has documented what named should do when
> 	confronted with 'include "/etc/definitions/*.zdef";' in
> 	named.conf.  As I said document the desired behaviour.

I think the intent was clear.  POSIX specifies how wildcards are matched
against filenames.  What else could he conceivably desire but that the
statement would include all the files that match the wildcard, using the
matching algorithm of POSIX?

Actually, I would expect that the matching algorithm should match the OS
on which BIND is running.  So if it's on a Unix system it should use
POSIX matching, but on Windows it should use Windows/DOS filename
matching.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA