9.3.1 "make" vs. "make depend"

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 23 21:04:33 UTC 2005

At 2:23 PM -0500 2005-08-23, Jeff Stevens wrote:

>  Jeff Stevens wrote:
>>  What is the difference with "depend"?  I get multiple errors running
>>  depend but none running just make.  Doesn't make also compile the
>>  source code as well as depend?
>
>  Answered offline.

	For the benefit of everyone else on the list, and for inclusion
in the archives -- Ignore my previous message on this subject, and
note this correction.

	The normal installation method for BIND-9 is:

		./configure
		make
		make install

	Note that there is no "make depend" in this process.  I checked,
and the READMEs from BIND-9.0.0 through 9.3.1 have said that this is
only used by people who are making modifications to the source code.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755