Problems with BIND 9.2.4 on Windows 2000

Spam List spamlist at vbot.org
Tue Aug 23 13:08:04 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I'm running BIND 9.2.4 on Windows 2000. When I start the named service
on the master machine, I receive the following errors in the event log
of that machine:

errno2result.c:61: unexpected error:

    -and-

unable to convert errno to isc_result: 64: The specified network name is
no longer available.

These errors are always paired (in the order listed), and always seem to
immediately follow the following informational message:

zone arisiasoft.com/IN: sending notifies (serial 2005082305)

Based on the assumption that the errors are caused in some way by
attempting to send notifies or transfer this zone to other servers, I
checked their logs. At about the same time as this error appears on the
master, the following informational message appears on a slave server:

zone arisiasoft.com/IN: refresh: unexpected rcode (SERVFAIL) from master
66.219.172.36#53

I'm assuming from this that the actual problem is on the master server,
not on the slave servers.

I've included the named.conf from the master, and I've included the zone
file for the arisiasoft.com domain. Can anyone point out to me where
I've gone wrong here? (Ignoring, for the moment, that I haven't upgraded
to 9.3.x, and that I'm allowing updates and notifies by IP address)

Any help here would be appreciated.

Tracy

named.conf (master):
options {
	version "1.2.1";
	directory "/winnt/system32/dns/etc";
	// check-names master ignore;
	// check-names slave ignore;
	rfc2308-type1 yes;
	allow-notify { 66.219.172.33/28; };
	allow-recursion { 66.219.172.33/28; };
	allow-transfer { 66.219.172.33/28; 209.143.0.1/24; };
};

zone "172.219.66.in-addr.arpa" in {
	file "172.219.66.in-addr.arpa.dns";
	type master;
	allow-update { 66.219.172.33/28; };
};

zone "arisiasoft.com" in {
	file "arisiasoft.com.dns";
	type master;
	allow-update { 66.219.172.33/28; };
};

zone "clanmonroe.com" in {
	file "clanmonroe.com.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "darylleger.com" in {
	file "darylleger.com.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "list.local" in {
	file "list.local.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "mailtrap.us" in {
	file "mailtrap.us.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "schlep.arisiasoft.com" in {
	file "schlep.arisiasoft.com.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "schmoo.mailtrap.us" in {
	file "schmoo.mailtrap.us.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "stubtailfarm.com" in {
	file "stubtailfarm.com.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "vbot.org" in {
	file "vbot.org.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
	file "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.dns";
	type master;
};

zone "." in {
	file "root.dns";
	type hint;
};

arisiasoft.com.dns (zone file as it's initially loaded, prior to any
updates):
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400	; 1 day
arisiasoft.com          IN SOA  ns0.arisiasoft.com.
postmaster.arisiasoft.com. (
				2005082301 ; serial
				7200       ; refresh (2 hours)
				1800       ; retry (30 minutes)
				1209600    ; expire (2 weeks)
				86400      ; minimum (1 day)
				)

			NS	ns0.arisiasoft.com.
			NS	ns1.arisiasoft.com.
			NS	ns2.arisiasoft.com.

			A	66.219.172.36
			A	66.219.172.37
			A	66.219.172.38
			A	66.219.172.39

			MX	10 mail.arisiasoft.com.

			TXT	"v=spf1 mx -all"

			RP	postmaster. .

_client._smtp.arisiasoft.com.      SRV 1 1 1 arisiasoft.com.
_client._smtp.mail.arisiasoft.com. SRV 1 2 1 mail.arisiasoft.com.

$ORIGIN arisiasoft.com.
schlep			NS	ns0
			NS	ns1
			NS	ns2