one zone where master answers but slave doesn't

Dave Stewart dstewart at aquaflo.com
Wed Aug 17 16:21:25 UTC 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 4:52 PM, Mark Andrews offered this insight:

>>>     BIND 9.2.2 is well past its "use by" date.
>>>

>> Not as well past as the 8.2.4 version I replaced on "rusty". That one
>> was flat out curdled and smelled bad.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> This is only for internal company use, they aren't even visible to
>> the outside world (or shouldn't be if I did it right). Assuming it's
>> safe from attack, any issues with 9.2.2 that could bite me in the
>> end? I don't mind updating, but if I'm not gaining anything important
>> to me from the update ...
>>

>     It's still well past its "use by" date.  Why do people assume
>     security issues are the only reason for updating.

Because:
1. the old version may appear to be working good at the moment
-AND-
2. some people can admit they are lazy (9.2.2 is what came pre-
installed on this machine)
-AND-
3. some people already have a lot on their plates (there are only so
many hours in a day).

;-)

That said, I'm spending some time today fixing issues on my named
servers anyway and I'm never against a bug fix.

>     There have been hundreds of bugs fixed since BIND 9.2.2.  Go read
>     the CHANGES log for BIND 9.3.1.  Just about every [bug]
>     listed there and not listed in the BIND 9.2.2 CHANGES will
>     apply to BIND 9.2.2.

Wow, I glanced over this document when I upgraded on rusty, but
honestly most of it is over my head (I was glad to be updating rusty
though!). Looking it over again today, I saw a few race condition
fixes that completely sold me.
;-)

>     We release maintenance releases (bug fixes only) because
>     people have asked for them.  Maintenance releases are
>     designed to be drop in replacements for earlier releases
>     in the same series.
>
>     Feature releases on the other hand may require minor changes
>     to configuration and/or applications linked against the
>     libraries.  We try to minimise this and make them drop in
>     replacements but we don't guarantee it.   BIND 9.3. wasn't
>     completely drop in and BIND 9.4 won't be either.
>
>     Note some bugs can only be fixed by adding new features so
>     one should plan on moving to the next feature release series
>     as soon as possible to get all the bug fixes.

If my named server wasn't behind a firewall or was serving the
public, I wouldn't have ever set up anything but the latest and
greatest version. But being this is private and not seen by the
world, my first goal was to simply get what I already had running. My
next goal was to bury the old 8.2 version I had on rusty. Today I
should be able to find enough time to update diags (if not at least
it's high on my list of things that need to get done:).

Many thanks again Mark!

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com

Murphy's Law:
     Anything that can go wrong, will.
Murphy's Corollary:
     Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
Murphy's Constant:
     Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.
Quantized review of Murphy's Law:
     Everything goes wrong all at once.
O'Tooles Commentary:
     Murphy was an optimist.