Running Multiple Primary Master Name Servers for theSame Zone (on a Dynamically Updated Zone)

Smith, Earl (Exchange) emsmith at Bear.com
Wed Aug 17 15:26:05 UTC 2005

Let me see if I can phrase this more clearly than I did yesterday, and
maybe I can get a response.

I want to run dual primary master name servers for the same zone.  This
Is described in Cricket's DNS Cookbook recipe 5.25.  However, there it
describes the problem of doing this with dynamically updated zones.  I'm
only interested in the reverse zone, because it is dynamically updated
beyond my control by the PCs.

Will I accomplish what I want to do by running a cron job say every five
minutes that does the following:

1.	do a diff between <zone>.jnl and <zone>.jnl.old to pick out the
records I haven't yet processed
2.	copy <zone>.jnl to <zone>.jnl.old
3.	take the output of the diff (using journalprint) and grep out
the PTR records, and grep out the ones with the forward zone that only
the PCs belong to
4.	process these records using nsupdate against the "other" Primary
Master Name Server.

Anybody see any problems, or does anyone actually think this will work?

Earl M. Smith

emsmith at bear.com

beeper  917-401-0087

cell       201-390-6893

desk     212-272-1502 (not often there)

-- File: Disclaimer

Please be aware that, notwithstanding the fact that the person sending
this communication has an address in Bear Stearns' e-mail system, this
person is not an employee, agent or representative of Bear Stearns.
Accordingly, this person has no power or authority to represent, make
any recommendation, solicitation, offer or statements or disclose
information on behalf of or in any way bind Bear Stearns or any of its
affiliates.