conversion time

Smith, Earl (Exchange) emsmith at Bear.com
Tue Aug 16 19:25:24 UTC 2005

We are about to convert to new master forward, reverse, and pseudo root
name servers, all running bind 9.3.1.  We will have two totally
independent sets of three masters for business continuity purposes.
Under the old setup  we are running multiple masters, but only one
master for a zone.  We tested the multiple master setup and it worked
fine.

We currently have two reverse zones set up that are used by PCs to
automatically register themselves when they are plugged into our
network, or when they enter a new wireless zone.  I assume this is done
via nsupdate by Microsoft.

In any event, when we cutover to the new system I want to run both
systems in parallel for a few weeks, to make sure everything is getting
to the new masters properly.  After the testing, the old servers will be
converted to caching name servers, so we don't have to change where
devices go to look up names.  Now for the problem.

I can have our systems for "manually" updating DNS, which consist of QIP
and CIMS, send updates to both our old system and to each of the masters
for our new system.  However, the two reverse zones that are
automatically updated by the PCs as they register their presence on the
network present a problem.  I don't know how to get them to send
multiple updates, and suspect this is impossible.   So,  I am left with
running journalprint against the journal files and then parsing the
records and making sure everything is in sync that way.  Journalprint
does not seem to print a time stamp, but I can see the SOA update lines
to bump the serial number with each update, so I can make sure things
get updated in the correct order that way.  Is there anything more
simple?

Earl M. Smith

emsmith at bear.com

beeper  917-401-0087

cell       201-390-6893

desk     212-272-1502 (not often there)

-- File: Disclaimer

Please be aware that, notwithstanding the fact that the person sending
this communication has an address in Bear Stearns' e-mail system, this
person is not an employee, agent or representative of Bear Stearns.
Accordingly, this person has no power or authority to represent, make
any recommendation, solicitation, offer or statements or disclose
information on behalf of or in any way bind Bear Stearns or any of its
affiliates.