making DNS changes (TTL theory)

Jim jim at compton.net
Tue Aug 16 16:34:55 UTC 2005

Hey folks,

Being relatively new to dns, I'm a bit uncertain that when i make changes to
bind, how to accurately im able to predict when the changes i make will
replicate to dns servers across the world. I'm asking y'all for help because
i've heard it said from people who manage the same zones, that it might take
up to 2 weeks for changes to have fully taken affect across the net - which
i am willing to contradict. I've always been under the understanding that
changes made to RR's could take up to the value of my TTL for the zone. Let
me explain how i draw my conclusion for dns changes now, and i'd be happy to
have anyone correct me on this or offer any advice.

For zone1.com, my TTL = 2 days and my expire = 2 weeks. My expire value is
only relevant to my slaves of zone1.com. If my primary name server is
unreachable from my secondaries, the zone data will expire, and my
secondaries are no longer able to provide authoriative answers for my
zone1.com.
As for my TTL of 2 days, this value tells any non-authoritative name server
how long they should cache my zone data for. So if a non-authoritative
server has my zone data cached, then i make a change to my zone & reload
bind, the countdown begins from the TTL and the client using this
non-authoritative server can expect (worse case scenario) that in 2 days
they will have an updated answer for all RRs in my zone. In which case i
would be correct in assuming that in the worst case scenario, my zone data
will have updated answers from all internet servers depending on the value
of my TTL. Are both of these assumptions correct?

Any help would be appreciated :)
Jim