dns_master_load issues

Lance Albertson lance at ksu.edu
Tue Aug 16 00:45:55 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews wrote:
>>I've encountered a rather annoying problem with bind 9.3.1 lately.
>>Whenever I start up named I get an error similar to this:
>>dns_master_load: pri/foo.com:2398: ran out of space
>>zone foo.com/IN: loading master file pri/foo.com: ran out of space
>>
>>This error started after I changed all the origins from pointing to an
>>absolute subdomain to something more relative. Example...
>>
>>$ORIGIN bar.foo.com.
>>
>>Changed to...
>>
>>$ORIGIN bar
>>
>>This allowed me to control what gets appended to that subdomain via
>>named.conf. The goal of this is to share one file for two zones that
>>will need basically the same zone with maybe one or two modifications. I
>>tried messing with the datasize and stacksize settings in named.conf
>>with that ending up in a dead end.
>>
>>I did see something similar to this in the FAQ talking about TXT records
>>not being closed properly. I checked my zone and all the TXT records
>>look fine.
>>
>>Any help would be great, Thanks!
>>
>>--
>>Lance Albertson
>

> 	"ran out of space" generally means that you exceeded a fixed
> 	buffer size.  Often this can be in a field of a TXT record but
> 	it can be with name etc.
>
> 	Note if you have
>
> 	$ORIGIN example.net.
> 	$ORIGIN foo
> 	$ORIGIN bar
>
> 	the effective $ORIGIN is
>
> 	bar.foo.example.net.
>
> 	Given you description of the problem I suspect that you have
> 	exceeded the maximum size of a domain name.

Funny you say that since I realized about an hour before you sent this
email that was going on. I don't suppose there's any other way to share
one zone file with two zones? The main problem is the fact that this
zone has over a hundred origins and setting them for one domain negates
it from being used for the other domain since its out of its zone. I was
hoping doing origins like this would enable me to share the file with
both zones, but now I realize that won't work. So either I'm missing how
I can do this in a simple manner or create some other method of keeping
both zones the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--