denied ?

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sat Aug 13 18:50:22 UTC 2005

At 11:45 AM 8/13/2005, you wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:16:23 +0200
> > From: Brent Clark <bclark at eccotours.dyndns.org>
> > To: bind-users at isc.org
> > Subject: Re: denied ?
> >
> > Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> > >     The machine at 192.168.111.213 attempted to update its DNS
> > >     entries.  Configure it not to.
> >
>[...snip...]
> > What do you mean by this, oh and would you know how I can tell
> > wintendo not to do this.
>
>Before you read this, please understand that I am NOT a windows guru
>but am only speaking from my own experience at configuring my own
>private LAN...  Given that caveat, here goes...
>
>The windows boxen got its IP address via DHCP (usually).  A "name"
>forthe box was assigned by the 'operator' when the machine was
>"configured".  Windows saw that the name in DNS was different from the
>name assigned by the operator and attempted to update the DNS entry to
>match what IT thought was the correct name for that IP address...
>
>Now how to stop this behavour?  Assign a STATIC IP address to the NAME
>on the  Windows box.

No need to do this unless the DHCP server registers names on behalf
of the clients, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Even still,
you could tell the DHCP server not to do that.

>   Ensure that the name in DNS matches the name that
>windows has.  There might even be a little checkbox that says "Update
>DNS?"  Uncheck it.

That's the key. Open the properties for the Local Area Connection or
whatever your NIC interface is called. Go to TCP/IP Properties, click
Advanced, and click the DNS tab. Be sure "Register this connection's
address in DNS" is not checked. It's checked by default on MS
operating systems that can do this.

>Regards,
>Gregory Hicks
>

> > Thanks again for taking the time for replying to my mail.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Brent Clark

>Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
>Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
>555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
>San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com
>
>I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
>learn a great deal today.
>
>"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
>lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
>decision." - Benjamin Franklin
>
>"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
>be properly armed." --Alexander Hamilton

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain