SPF RRType

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 11 18:58:54 UTC 2005

At 2:21 PM -0400 2005-08-11, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

>  type.  SPF uses TXT records.

	Correct.  It uses TXT records.

>  Be warned: this does break some things, and it seems that about a third
>  of the Internet is convinced that its wide implementation would
>  completely destroy e-mail, while about a quarter of the Internet
>  considers SPF its saviour and redeemer.

	There are problems with the SPF specification, and there are
problems with the SPF implementations.  For one thing, many people do
not implement SPF correctly, so they break mail for any domain that
publishes SPF records.  Another problem is that spammers have started
publishing SPF records, and very few legitimate domains have done the
same.

	This means that the probability is very high that anyone using
SPF records is a spammer, which I guess explains why no one seems to
care that they have screwed up their SPF implementation and instead
throw away anything coming from domains that have SPF records.

	I have my own personal rant on this subject at
<http://bradknowles.typepad.com/considered_harmful/2004/05/spf.html>.
And no, DomainKeys is not much better.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755