Setting up my own DNS and hit a couple of snags...

Mikey mikeyNO at SPAM.Segel.com
Wed Aug 10 19:04:13 UTC 2005

I'm setting up my own DNS server on SuSE Linux version 9.3.

Of course using YaST has its own problem in that it doesn't set up PTR
records when you use the wizard.

I have two major issues.

1) Naming and use of CNAME
2) DNS not seeing my PTR records in my db.xxx.xxx.xxx reverse DNS zone file.

Issue 1:
	I've set up my domain to have two name servers.
I've created aliases NS1 and NS2 for these servers.  My network is small
(Its a Class C CIDR block) and some of my boxes serve double duty.
One is my main Database server the other is my firewall.

So I have address records for my firewall-outside and dbrack01.
I created CNAMES so that NS1 points to firewall-outside (Machine A) and
NS2 points to dbrack01(Machine B) .

I plan on making dbrack01 a slave to my NS1 box.

The issue is that using a CNAME for the name server is not a good idea
according to the RFCs. Please note that I've got a small network so I
don't anticipate too much traffic.

Issue 2:
	Ok so I'v got my PTR zone file set up, and I have an entry in named.conf.

	I've started named with debugging on and stderr to stdout with no problems.
For some reason its not seeing the PTR records correctly.
I've gone in to nslookup set q=PTR and then query for a known host.) No
PTR records.

What gives?

TIA!

-Mikey