two masters for the same zone

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Sun Aug 7 20:36:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, srg wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I need the following scenario:
>
> 1. two or more nameservers (ns1, ns2, ...) MASTERS of the same zone, ie,
> example.com.
> 2. one or more clients do ddns updates to the nameservers in (1). Those
> updates will be done sometimes to ns1 and other times to ns2.
> Here comes de problem:
> 3. If a client registers it's name (client1) in ns1's example.com. zone
> then I need that the name client1.example.com. to be resolved in ns1 AND
> IN ns2.
> 4. The same if the client registers in ns2's example.com. zone (the name
> MUST be resolved in ns1 and in ns2).
>
> In other words, I need that the ddns name registrartion (using nsupdate
> or any other ddns client) can be done in ns1 and in ns2, and, that the
> registered name will resolve in BOTH n's no matter the one used to register.
>
> I have been done a similar configuration but configuring ns2 as a SLAVE
> (including to do the updates in the slave and then the salve forward the
> update request to the master), but the problem is that if ns1 goes down
> then no more clients can be registered.

I presume the concern is about Windows clients.  A Windows client will
attempt to register with any name server that is authoritative for a zone.
The name server need not be the master for the zone.  I don't understand
why both name servers need to be the "master" name server.  This disables
your ability to synchronize the zone data.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0