SDB and redundant queries

Devin Bayer devin.bayer at rochester.edu
Thu Aug 4 20:54:14 UTC 2005

Hello.  I have been writing a driver for bind SDB and I have been
getting some odd behavior.  Every query generates four function
calls.  Why the last two?

First query_find() calls dns_db_find(), which eventually calls an SDB
driver's lookup and authority functions.  Then in the addauth section
of query_find, query_addns() is called, which calls dns_db_find()
again.  Both times lookup is called with the second option "@".

This is very redundant, since the same data is returned the second
time.  Why does query_addns() need to be called, since dns_db_find()
calls the SDB's authority function?  Isn't the authority information
already in the answer?

Please provide any insight into this behavior. Maybe my SDB driver is
not responding correctly. Thanks for your time, Devin Bayer