Strange slave DNS errors

Kirk Hoganson kirk2 at lenderlab.com
Tue Aug 2 17:14:16 UTC 2005

I am having a rather strange issue with one of my DNS slave servers.  We
have 3 DNS servers:
Master: BIND 9.2.1 (Debian)
Slave1: BIND 9.2.1 (Debian)
Slave2: BIND 9.2.2-P1 (Gentoo)

The first slave fills the logs with the following error:
Aug  2 00:23:36 ns2.domain.com named[1972]: socket.c:1100: unexpected error:
Aug  2 00:23:36 ns2.domain.com named[1972]: internal_send:
66.7.6.158#53: Invalid argument
Aug  2 00:23:44 ns2.domain.com named[1972]: socket.c:1100: unexpected error:
Aug  2 00:23:44 ns2.domain.com named[1972]: internal_send:
66.7.6.158#53: Invalid argument

(That is not the actual IP, though the actual IP is valid).

I have can find no reference to this error when using a valid IP.
Further, the service will hang when I attempt to shut it down, and I
must kill the processes to close it.

The server will respond to outside DNS requests (ie. dig), but any local
requests fail.

The other two systems do not have this problem, and seem to function
correctly.

This is causing me serious grief, can anyone give me some information
that might get me pointed in the right direction?

Kirk