how to change the serial number usinf nsupdate

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Mon Aug 1 20:01:14 UTC 2005

/dev/rob0 wrote:
> BIJU KURIAN wrote:
>
>>serial number on DDNS and nsupdate
>>
>>Is there anyway we can change the serial number to match the
>>yyyy/mm/dd format instead of automatically generating DDNS serial
>>number?
>

> I suppose you could just change the SOA record. Never tried it myself,
> but I can't see why not.

It depends on your slaves.

When you change something on the master, then you must increment the serial
number.

When the slaves see a higher serialnumber then they do upgrade.

When you have control over all your slaves then set your new number and
restart the master. Now stop the slaves. Delete the slave file and restart
the slaves.

If you dont have control over the slaves, it is a bit more tricky.

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
Public-Root
mail: peter at peter-dambier.de