stats-file explained

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Wed Apr 27 23:25:52 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-27, Bernhard Schmidt <berni at birkenwald.de> wrote:

Hi,

I just thought it would be a good idea to just test it.

JFTR, neither

> queries = success + referral + nxrrset + nxdomain + recursion + failure

nor

> queries = success + nxdomain + referral + failure

seems to be correct

queries = success + referral + nxrrset + nxdomain + failure

seems to be the trick. The documentation is somehwat confusing in it's
wording

success		The number of successful queries made to the server or
		zone. A successful query is defined as query which
		returns a NOERROR response other than a referral
		response

nxrrset		The number of queries which resulted in NOERROR

IMHO this suggests that nxrrset (NOERROR, ANSWER=0) is part of success,
but according to my numbers it isn't. So success seems to be NOERROR
with ANSWER >= 1.

Bernhard