Fw: How to block DNS record scans ? (more info)

Sylvan Andrew sylvan_nids at norfolk.nf
Mon Apr 25 22:44:49 UTC 2005

Hello,

Wow ! Thanks so much to all the people who responded and passed on some
great ideas.

Unfortunately we can't block by source address of the DNS request because
they are using legit open DNS servers to do the requests. For nearly every
DNS request they seem to use a different source IP. Regardless of source IP
the requests follow a logical alphabetical order. I estimated they are using
a pool of more than 20 plus DNS servers.

One suggestion from Stephan was:

> As a first step... agreed.
> But that shouldn't be the final solutions as he will be always one step
> behind a possible attacker. I would strongly suggest an intelligent IDS /
> IPS which recognizes such attacks and blocks them dynamically

Has anybody had any successful experiences with this ?

I don't know much about Bind but it seems a shame that it hasn't got a
'don't bother replying to wanker requests' switch built in.

Any other ideas or a way to achieve this are much appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvan