Weird Named error...

Braun Brelin bbrelin at openapp.biz
Thu Apr 21 09:08:36 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have a strange named problem which I'm hoping someone can help me solve.
I'm running a RedHat 7.2 system with Bind 9.2.1.

Currently, BIND only resolves names if I run it with the -g option.

I.e. named -g -u named will resolve names via nslookup or dig.

If I run it normally i.e. via /sbin/service or /etc/init.d/named start
it will still show up as a process (actually it shows up as 4 processes in
the process table) but nslookup timesout with a no connection error.

I ran strace named -f -u named just to see if I could find out what was
happening.  It seems as though named is stuck in a sigsuspend() system
call apparently waiting for some signal or another to continue.

The only thing that has changed on the box was that the /var fs filled up
yesterday (It's since been cleared).  All of the zone files look normal.

Has anyone seem this sort of behavior from named before?

Thanks,

Braun Brelin