Need help analyzing broken/missing reverse zone

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Wed Apr 20 21:26:53 UTC 2005

--On 20. april 2005 07:17 -0700 doug <wisco.disco at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a nutshell, the reverse works when I query the name server from the
> localhost (using dig -x).  When I issue the same dig command from a
> remote machine, I do not get an ANSWER:   In fact, the SOA in the
> AUTHORITY SECTION: is the netblock's ISP.  Does the ISP have to do
> something to make my name server authoritative for a reverse zone
> lookup?

Yes. If you've got a /24-network (256 addresses) or larger, they can
delegate that/those zones to you (for example, if you had 1.2.3.0/24 they
could delegate 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa to you.

If you have less than a /24-network, they can either delegate every single
IP-address to you, or they can make every one of those a CNAME pointing to
a name in your normal forward-zone.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen