Do I need MX record at all?

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Apr 20 18:58:38 UTC 2005

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 04/19/2005 06:48:12 PM:

> --- unix at edify.com wrote:
> >    I would like to know if MX record is needed at all reason is I am
> > using Sendmail (8.12.11)on the same DNS server that uses mailertable
which
> > has entries to tell where it needs to pass on email. I have Checkpoint
FW
> > rules to tell how the email should be routed, so do I really need MX
record
> > for the outside world to tell where email should be delivered to.
>
> An MX record is not mandatory, but it is WISE.

Not using an MX RR is only possible when there is an A RR for the
potential owner of the MX RR.  That is to say, if you think you need the
following MX RR (with the associated A RR for the MX RR's RDATA):

foo.com.  MX  10  mail.foo.com.
mail.foo.com  A  192.168.1.5

Then you could omit the MX RR and its associated A RR by using the
following A RR:

foo.com.  A  192.168.1.5

The rest of the previous poster's comments regarding backup mail servers
still applies.  You *will need* MX RR's if you have more than one mail
server.  Multiple A RR's will not do the trick for a number of reasons.
Remember, the "preference" field should be thought of as a cost, i.e. the
lower the preference, the more preferred the mail exchanger...

hth,

Dave...