DNS propagation

Brett brettcarr at ripe.net
Tue Apr 19 06:54:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 unix at edify.com wrote:

> Hi
>    I am running my primary DNS using BIND 8.1. This weekend, I am swapping
> name, IP address, and role with that of Win 2003 DNS (secy). I would like
> these changes to be propagated as quickly as possible to the outside world.
> I am presuming that by lowering my TTL, I can ensure this can happen. My SOA
> is below. Can someone please advise me how much low can my TTL be?. TIA for
> your time.
>
> $TTL    86400
> @       IN      SOA     mydns.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (
>                         2005041801 ; Serial YYYYMMDD01
>                         8000       ; Refresh
>                         3000       ; Retry
>                         1500000    ; Expire
>                         86400 )    ; Minimum TTL
> ;
> Ragu

Your TTL is currently 86400 (1 Day) you can lower this as far as you like
but be warned if you take it down too low and your domain is popular your
dns servers will get hit hard due to the cached data timing out so
quickly.

You should lower your TTL to a reasonable value
Wait the original TTL value (1 day)
Make your changes.
Put the TTL back to 86400

Regards