Websites switching homepages!

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Apr 18 22:08:33 UTC 2005

> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:57:34 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: Websites switching homepages!
> From: mworden at substantis.com
[...snip...]

> > BUT...  If they are on the same host, and the virtually hosted site is
> > not available, WHY would the default site be available?  The only thing
> > that *should* stop the virtual site from being displayed is that the
> > software is down...  No?
> >
> > Ah well...  I don't know :)  In any case, this topic should be moved to
> > a web newsgroup instead of BIND...  (The DNS appears to be working OK.)
> >
> > However, THIS web site reports some DNS problems...  Specifically with
> > 'stealth' nameservers.  They might be causing the problem.

[...snip...]

> >From the Apache FAQ:
>
> Now when a request arrives, the server will first check if it is using an
> IP address that matches the NameVirtualHost. If it is, then it will look
> at each <VirtualHost> section with a matching IP address and try to find
> one where the ServerName or ServerAlias matches the requested hostname. If
> it finds one, then it uses the configuration for that server. If no
> matching virtual host is found, then the first listed virtual host that
> matches the IP address will be used.
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

So this translates to a web server configuration problem instead of a
DNS problem?

In any case...  Still not a bind problem...  Since the virtual host
DOES show up once in awhile...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin