Two Authoritative servers

Chris chris at nospam.datafoundry.com
Fri Apr 15 22:46:41 UTC 2005

"Rodney" <rolson at myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:d3pbqh$78j$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>I have switched ISPs and I need to change my domain registration to
> reflect the new Name servers. The registry will not change the info
> until my new ISP's DNS servers are Authoritative for our domain.
> Currently our old ISP is still the Authority for our domain. Can I have
> the New ISP make entries in their Name servers as SOA for our domain
> and keep the old ISPs entries as the SOA until the domain registry
> makes their changes?
>
> Rodney

Yes. The new ISP can set up their DNS servers to accept queries for your
domain and create the necessary zone file so that when the registry changes
the delegation, you have a transparent changeover. If they switched the
delegation before the servers had been configured with your zone then you
risk DNS failing for your domain until they do the work.

When we get a domain transfer in we first look up the incumbant data for the
zone and any other info provided by the owner of the domain and set up the
zone file on our master so that when the domain arrives with us it all works
straight away and the customer does not suffer any loss of service (mail,
www etc.).

Chris.