Is '.local' officially defined/reserved ?

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Thu Apr 14 23:11:01 UTC 2005

It belongs at least to "rendevouz" originally defined by Apple, now also
used by some printer manufacturers and ...
I was hit by it when I bought a Mac. I was using .local as my local tld
to prevent any leakage to get far. Everything worked fine, except the
Apple, here nothing worked. It started to work when I changed from
.local to .home.

 From an Apple doc.:
Open and standard
Rendezvous is a collection of technologies
that when used together deliver automatic
networking configuration and service discovery.
The technologies at the core of Rendezvous--
link-local addressing, Multicast DNS, and DNS
service discovery--are all open and part of
the ongoing IETF standards creation process.
The process is coordinated by the ZeroConf
Networking Group of the IETF. Apple participates
fully in this standards process, ensuring full
device interoperability.

Another quote:
Additional Resources
Apple is committed to making core protocols freely
available as open standards and open source code.
Developers can find more information about
Rendezvous at developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/
rendezvous.
To access the source code under the Apple Public
Source License, go to www.opensource.apple.com/
projects/rendezvous.
General information about Rendezvous is available at
www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/rendezvous.html.
Other resources include www.zeroconf.org and
www.dns-sd.org.

Hope this points in the correct direction.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.