Problem with Reverse DNS

Frank Saxton NOSPAM at aracnet.com
Wed Apr 13 22:20:40 UTC 2005

joe wrote:

> M. B?ttger wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>i have a problem with an reverse DNS-entry.
>>The situation:
>>We have an IP-Provider who gives us the lines and the IP's.
>>Then we have a Domain-Provider who links our domains to the IP's.
>>afak the Domain-Provider is in charge for the 'normal'/forward DNS
>>while our IP-Provider is in charge for the reverse DNS.
>>Is that correct?
>>Both of them say they are not responsible for that, because the other
>>side is.
>>
>>I think the IP-Provider is in charge for the DNS-Entry.
>>Right?
>>
>>We need this entry for mailing to aol (and maybe others).
>>aol blocks all of our mails because of the missing reverse DNS.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any hints or tips
>>Michael Boettger
>>

> I figured I would finally answer a post since I have gotton so much from
> here. Time to give back just a little bit.
>
> Here is a very simple way of looking at it:
> ISP (whois in charge of assigning ip's to their customers) = reverse dns
> delegation/ptr records for your servers.
> DNS HOSTING Provider = zone file for domain name (ie: a, www, mx records)
>
> now others may have a more detailed version of this but i like to keep
> things simple when it comes to the internet, etc...
>
> hope that helps,
> Joe

As a general rule, I'd say that whoever is authoritative for the A record
would also be authoritative for the reverse lookups as well.  Otherwise
things could get a bit confusing.

"Authoritative" is usually a function of who has control over the IP
addresses in question.  That is, if a provider turns over a class c block
of addresses to you (for example) you are the DNS authority and would
manage both the forward and reverse lookups on your own DNS server.

Small networks (i.e. SOHOs) or networks where there is no DNS server are
usually handled by the ISP.

In any case, there are things that will block you (as you've already
noticed) if you don't have a correct forward and reverse DNS lookup for
your IP address.

I hope this helps