DNS reverse lookup problem

biffta biffta at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 08:24:21 UTC 2005

I recently setup a DNS server on suse 9.2. I haev been testing it so
far to resolve local hosts and foward requests to other DNS for
internet resolution. All is well and it works a treat however there is
a problem. When trying a nslookup from a windows client, an initial
error message is displayed complaining the the DNS server does itself
not have a hostname.
CODE
*** Can't find server name for address 192.0.0.62: Server failed
I searched around a little bit for this error and believe it was being
caused as the DNS needed a reverse lookup entry for itself.
So...I created one. Alas now when I perform the nslookup i still get
the same error.

I know nslookup is outdated but the error I believe is with the DNS
server, and so needs fixing. I also believe that no external sources
are being contacted when nslookup is performed and therefore the
problem can be fixed locally.

Here is the my default zone info for DNS,
var/lib/named/master/myhost.co.uk
CODE
$TTL 2d
@               IN SOA          hostname.        root.hostname. (
                               2005040801     ; serial
                               3h             ; refresh
                               1h             ; retry
                               1w             ; expiry
                               1d )           ; minimum

myhost.co.uk.    IN NS           hostname
host-1         IN A            192.0.0.61
host-2         IN A            192.0.0.62
.
.
.
And here is my zone info for the reverse lookups

var/lib/named/master/0.0.192.in-addr.arpaX
CODE
$TTL 2d
@               IN SOA          localhost.      root.localhost. (
                               2005040801     ; serial
                               3h             ; refresh
                               1h             ; retry
                               1w             ; expiry
                               1d )           ; minimum

62              IN PTR          host-2.myhost.co.uk.
myhost.co.uk.    IN NS           host-2.myhost.co.uk.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help!