CNAME question

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:19:01 UTC 2005

Brad knows what he's talking about, but I'll add one extra
clarification only because I'm obsessive and the original query did
quote the example as "mydomainname.com".  In a zone file for
"mydomainname.com", if the origin remains at "mydomainname.com.", the
following does what was asked for:

mydomainname.com.   IN   A   IP_ADDRESS
www    IN   CNAME   mydomainname.com.

In such a file, with such an origin, the following would assign a
number to the name "mydomainname.mydomainname.com.", most likely not
what you want:

mydomainname   IN   A   IP_ADDRESS

John Wobus