IPv6 and named.conf

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Apr 10 15:32:55 UTC 2005

> Hello,
>
> Since we still can't use acls for masters {}, and we can't use a hostname
> in masters {}, and we can't put an IPv6 address in there, how are we
> supposed to tell our slaves to allow updates from an IPv6 address?

	Your question doesn't make sense.

	If you want to transfer from a IPv6 address you put a IPv6
	address in the masters clauses.  This works for BIND 8.4.x
	and BIND 9.x.x.

	If you want to allow UPDATE requests from a IPv6 address
	then use allow-update-forwarding so they will be sent to
	the master.  allow-update-forwarding supports IPv6 addresses.
	This works for BIND 9.x.x.  BIND 8 slaves don't implement
	update forwarding.

> Also, when will masters {} be fixed to allow acls? Or will sed be a
> permanent requirement for BIND?

	BIND 9.3 supports named masters clauses.

	Acls say allow this *address range* or key to perform some
	function.  A plain address is shorthand for IPv4/32 or
	IPv6/128.

	Masters clauses say connect to this *address* optionally
	with this key.

	They are conceptually very different things.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org