pharming.. dns cache insertion...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Apr 9 01:45:52 UTC 2005

At 2:02 PM -0700 2005-04-08, bruce wrote:

>  i got to thinking about this after your 1st email... my basic question was,
>  is there a list/compilation of valid IP addresses, taking into account that
>  the list is completely dynamic.. has anyone tried to compile such a list?
>  how the hell would you even do it?

	With regards to individual IP addresses, that's not possible.
Among other things, a given IP address range may be validly assigned
to someone, but they may allocate IP addresses out of that range on a
dynamic basis to their clients.  Assuming their range is not
completely full, there will always be some addresses which are not
currently assigned -- but you never know which ones.

	Now, there is a complete list of valid IP address *ranges*.  Team
Cymru maintains a "bogon list" that includes all IP address ranges
that have not yet been assigned to a regional network facility such
as ARIN or RIPE, and therefore the list of valid IP address ranges
would be any range that's not on their bogon list.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755