whois.nic.gov doesn't respond?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 8 14:33:16 UTC 2005

> I'm trying to whois "donotcall.gov" from several computers and the
> query
> just times out...is there are reason whois.nic.gov doesn't respond
> like a
> security issue?

The whois servers for most TLDs are subject to sustained abuse: denial
of service attacks, torrents of queries from cyberspammers looking for
newly expired domain names to re-register, etc. etc. It may well be
that your attempts to contact whois.nic.gov are failing because of this
sort of traffic.

BTW this list discusses DNS issues related to BIND, not whois servers.