Authoritative Server - Referrals to root

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 8 13:30:23 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 13:32, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <d35i2h$fss$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If there's something I've overlooked, please tell us.
>
> Changes to the root zone, other than addition/removal of country
> domains, are not going to happen without much warning and publicity.

This discussion started from the assumption that such a change was made
to the root.

Besides, the amount of publicity and advance notice for adding a new
TLD makes no difference to the point I raised. If someone is already
using their own private instance of that TLD, they're going to have
problems once the official version is created. [That point applies to
ANY domain name, not just a TLD.] The publicity and advance warning for
a new TLD presumably just gives someone in that situation more time to
do something about it.