bind management using snmp

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Apr 7 14:41:17 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 10:55, Ronnel P. Maglasang wrote:
> Has anyone here tried to integrate ISC Bind with an SNMP agent (e.g.
> net-snmp)? I'd like to manage bind in some ways using SNMP, maybe
> extending SNMP to support bind objects. Are there documents available
> describing this integration?

RFC3197 has good advice for anyone planning a journey down this
particular road. The MIBs for DNS servers and resolvers have been
deprecated. 10-12 years ago code would probably have been written for
those now obsolete MIBs, perhaps just for test purposes. However I
doubt that code exists today or got any significant deployment.

I suppose the now obsolete RFCs documenting those MIBs might be a
starting point. Though there doesn't seem much point resurrecting
something that died a long time ago. BTW, those MIBs were derived from
the internals of BIND4. They're unlikely to be relevant for current DNS
implementations. Unless of course you're still running prehistoric
BIND4 code.