Authority for subdomains

The Tanster The.Tanster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:14:06 UTC 2005

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <d2s32c$1gvc$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  The.Tanster at gmail.com (The Tanster) wrote:
>
> > How can one set up a Master DNS server for a subdomain that one is
> > running on a private network to be authoritative for that subdomain only
> > (i.e. have a nslookup or dig query return an "authoritative" instead of
> > a "non-authoritative" answer when looking up a host only within that
> > subdomain)?  Can it be done in the named.conf through some keyword?
> > I've looked through the O'Reilly DNS & BIND book by Cricket Liu et al
> > and I can't find any information on this.  Thanks in advance.
>
> zone "sub.domain.com" {
>   type master;
>   file "subdomain.db";
> };
>
> and then put the subdomain data in subdomain.db.

Unfortunately, I've already done that but both nslookup and dig *STILL*
continue to give me a "non-authoritative" answer.  Even after restarting
named and rebooting both the DNS server and my client machine.  And I've
also checked to see that the server that nslookup queries *IS* my
internal DNS server (192.168.61.2) and you can see that it's resolving
fine below.  It's just that it's not "authoritative" and that's what's
bugging me on an intellectual level.  Why is it doing this despite my
specifying it as the "master" for the subdomain in /etc/named.conf *AND*
the data file?

zeus:~ qqq $ nslookup -sil hades
Server:         192.168.61.2
Address:        192.168.61.2#53

Non-authoritative answer: <-- This bugs me!!
Name:   hades.sub.domain.com
Address: 192.168.61.4

(I'm just using your placeholders of "sub" and "domain" to ensure I
don't get added to some spam harvester's spam list.)