Domain transfer issues

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 2 03:21:40 UTC 2005

In article <d2kp5r$pr1$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Shaun Kruger <shaun.kruger at gmail.com> wrote:

> My only speculation is that accept() isn't called if the requesting IP
> is not allowed transfer rights (resulting in an incomplete handshake).

The sockets API doesn't provide the requesting IP to the server until
accept() returns, so this speculation is not very likely.

There are some APIs that allow the server to check the requesting IP
before accepting the connection.  If they reject it, the stack sends an
RST to the client and the socket should go into CLOSED state.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA