[Possible OT]: dns id in requests

Ramnath Duggirala ramnath802 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 17:44:27 UTC 2004

Hi All,
  I have noticed that the corporate dns server is
sending out dns requests with same id but different
udp src port for consecutive requests. I was under the
impression that the "dns_id must be different for
requests from hostA to serverB as they are used to
match requests with responses. The udp src port can be
same for consecutive requests(this from earlier
discussions on bind in this forum)".

Is the server conforming/not_conforming to the rfc? I
searched dns rfcs back to 1034/1035 but they just
state that "dns id _can_ be used to match up requests
with responses", but nothing about whether they should
be unique.

I will appreciate your help very much.

Thank you,
-ramnath