What does 'match-destinations' match?

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Thu Sep 30 18:58:10 UTC 2004

<Benjamin.Walkenhorst at telekom.de> writes:

>     Benjamin> Hello everyone, I see that you can define a view not
>     Benjamin> only by the clients that get to see it, but also by
>     Benjamin> setting 'match-destinations', which takes an address
>     Benjamin> match list.  But what does it refer to?  The address of
>     Benjamin> the nameserver or the destination of the query?
>
> Aren't these the same thing? Isn't the destination of a DNS query the
> IP address of some name server?

I think Benjamin might have ment something more like the object of the
query, i.e. looking at ip address returned in an A RR.  However, I think
Benjamin would realize, after thinking it over, that this method would not
work for quiries for SOA, TXT, and other RR's who's RDATA is not a
"destination"...

Dave...

[clip...]