What does 'match-destinations' match?

Walkenhorst, Benjamin Benjamin.Walkenhorst at telekom.de
Thu Sep 30 11:24:41 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

I see that you can define a view not only by the clients that get
to see it, but also by setting 'match-destinations', which takes an
address match list.
But what does it refer to?
The address of the nameserver or the destination of the query?
I've gone over the Bind9 Administrator's Reference Manual thoroughly,
I've read IBM's documentation and I've been asking google exhaustively.
I've found some examples where match-destinations was used, but I couldn't
see what it was to match.
I have the suspicion that this refers to the nameserver's address rather than
the address of the host queried for - since the nameserver doesn't have a way of
knowing beforehand what address the query will resolve to; if I'm right, I think this
is useful in situations where a nameserver has more than one IP (like a public IP and
another IP on a private network, which is also the situation of choice to use views).
_Am_ I right?

Thank you very much,
Benjamin Walkenhorst