Getting complete zone file?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 29 21:01:59 UTC 2004

s wrote:

>Is there some way to get list of all (sub)domains from a zone file of a particular name server?
>TIA

I assume you mean subzones rather than subdomains, since undelegated
subdomains are *in* the zone and therefore it is rather trivial to list
them from the zone file.

I further assume that you are running BIND 8, because in BIND 9,
delegation records appear in the zone file of the parent zone and
therefore, again, it is rather trivial to generate a list of them. In
BIND 8, the delegation records for a particular zone may be missing from
the parent zone file, if the nameserver also happens to be authoritative
for the child zone (this is because BIND 8 didn't handle zone cuts
correctly). In that case, you'd have to look at /etc/named.conf in order
to identify all of the subzones. If you don't want to bother with that,
perhaps it's time to consider upgrading to BIND 9.

                                                               - Kevin