dig command error in DNS

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Tue Sep 28 16:17:09 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 09/28/2004 11:55:38 AM:
> Q1) Is it possible to configure DNS server on the
>     system(on which internet is shared through proxy
>     server)??
>
>     I am trying to configure DNS ,
>
>     when i dig -x 66.218.71.63 it give me error....
>     # dig -x 66.218.71.63
>
>     ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3rc2 <<>> -x 66.218.71.63
>     ;; global options:  printcmd
>     ;; connection timed out; no servers could be
>        reached
>
> Q 2) What should i put in /etc/resolv.conf either
>      192.168.1.1 or 203.101.86.145 ( i tried both but
>      doesn't worked) or any thing else ???

/etc/resolv.conf should have a line in it that reads:

nameserver <IP>

where <IP> is the ip address of a functioning name server.

> for reference
> =============
> -> 203.101.86.145- my ISP address

Not sure what you mean here.  Is that the IP address that your ISP
assigned to you?  If so, what are you using it for?  If not, what is it?

> -> 192.168.1.1- system to which internet connection is
>
>    directly comming and it is proxy server
>
> -> 192.168.1.2- system to which i am trying to
>    configure DNS server and internet is share through

If the above host is to be your name server then use it in
/etc/resolv.conf.  The name server process on this system must be
functioning before you can expect resolution to be successful.

>    proxy server
>
> -> I can ping every outside ip through my proxy
>    server(192.168.1.1)but i can't ping any outside ip
>    through (192.168.1.1)

Both of the IP addresses above are the same.  You may want to restate with
the right IP addresses or further explain.

Dave...