Why is nsupdate in $prefix/bin instead of $prefix/sbin?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 27 21:14:44 UTC 2004

Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

>phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu writes:
> =20
>
>>At the same time i would like to suggest moving named.conf to a more
>>conventional location : /etc/named.conf and in the same spirit start
>>shipping /var/named as the "home-location" for zonefiles.
>>   =20
>>

>Convention is in the eye of the beholder.  It is no coincidence that
>BIND and BSD both start with a B, and /etc/namedb/named.conf's claim
>to tradition is at least as good as /etc/named.conf's.

The "db" in /etc/namedb stands for "database", does it not? Does it make=20
sense to put a configuration file in a "database" directory? Conventions=20
that make no sense should be discarded.

Personally, I've never encountered an OS that expects to find the=20
"named" configuration file in the /etc/namedb directory. But then, I=20
come from more of a SysV background than BSD...

                                                                        =20
                                                      - Kevin