frustrating lookup problem

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 14:49:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:22:27 -0400, gschmid at notes.cc.sunysb.edu wrote:

> When I read Chris' post it sounded like something that I was seeing as
> well, except in my case I am unable to resolve names in the
> janestcapital.com domain.  As I read further, I saw a 66.155.0.0 address
> and knew we were looking at the same thing.  janestcapital's name servers
> are on that subnet as well.  i.e., they're using vianetworks.net as well.
> And, no, I can't resolve any names in the tower23.com domain either.
>
> As for BIND versions, I'm seeing the same thing on name servers running
> 8.3.4 and 9.2.2.

Hmm.  I've just tried with freshly-started BIND 8.3.4 and 8.1.2 (same
version as Chris) and they have little trouble finding A records for
janestcapital.com, tower23.com etc.  I even tried waiting an hour for
the A for janestcapital.com to timeout of the cache and queried again,
and they found it again -- incidentally one of the nameservers for that
domain is lame, ns1.vianetworks.net.

So ... time to consider debugging and packet-tracing?  I started these
with a separate config file with

	listen-on port 5353 { 127.0.0.1; };
	query-source address n.n.n.n port 5353;

so I could look only at traffic to/from port 5353 on the external IP.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for