DNS server not getting all updates

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Sep 22 16:22:48 UTC 2004

    Brent> A company we are doing consultation for is having a problem
    Brent> with a thier primary DNS server,

Let me see if I understand this. A company is paying you to fix their
DNS problems. And you're asking bind-users to fix them? Nice work if
you can get it,.... :-)

    Brent> his domain is registered with godaddy.com register and is
    Brent> hosted elsewhere not hosted by the customer...when they use
    Brent> their own primary DNS to get to thier site..there domain
    Brent> cant be resolved, however thier secondary server does know
    Brent> about the domain in question.  What would cause a primary
    Brent> DNS server to NOT get a update from root servers but allow
    Brent> a secondary to get updates from root servers. Also the
    Brent> primary know of all other domains,,,just not this certain
    Brent> domain.

    Brent> the error i get when i do a nslookup from the DNS server is

    Brent> " *** No Address (A) records available for customers-domain.com "

It's impossible to answer your questions from the information
that's been provided. It's probably a broken delegation. But since we
don't know the actual domain name, who can say? Your customer should
really talk to their registrar to sort out the problem. It looks like
your customer is confused about who is supposed to be hosting the
zone.

BTW root servers don't update anything. They couldn't care less about
which name servers serve your customer's zone or which of them are
master (primary) or slave (secondary).