DNS recs, a beginners question

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 19 01:16:11 UTC 2004

In article <ciih9g$2fbb$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Arun Dev <nospam at pleaz.xy>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:23:53AM +0200,
> >  Arun Dev <nospam at pleaz.xy> wrote
> >>  - our provider's mail server should store incoming mail in case
> >>  the machine or the SMTP daemon is down
> >

> > Bad idea, IMHO, so I did not implement it. (Unless you have a very
> > good working relationship with the ISP.)
> >
> I was thinking of the MX records. Usually one gives top priority
> to the own server and backup servers get less priority.

@ IN MX 10 iron
  IN MX 20 ispserver.isp.net.

But why do you think you need this?  If your SMTP server is down, the
mail will be stored at the sending sites.  They'll keep trying to send
it for several days, and when you come back up you'll get the mail.
What added benefit do you think you'll get by having all the mail stored
on the ISP's server?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA